Thursday, October 25, 2012

Generation Gap

Planning an event for multiple generations can be challenging. Take Generation X/Y vs. Baby Boomers. They want different things. They're different ages. They were raised differently. So how do they come together and celebrate? My parents are part of the baby boomer generation and my older siblings are part of generation X/Y. Since I'm much younger than my siblings, I fall into a different generation. But I can see the differences between them and my parents. The 30-somethings and the 50-somethings do not party the same way. 

When planning any event, a planner must consider their audience demographics and psychographics- or for us normal people, who they are and how they think. 

Let's take two events that defined these generations: Woodstock & Lollapalooza

Woodstock:
The music- rock
Venue- 600 acre farm in NY
 












Lollapalooza:
The music- alternative rock, heavy metal, punk rock, hip hop + dance & comedy performances
Venue- Grant Park, Chicago, IL

The biggest difference I see is simplicity. Woodstock was in a field in the country and featured one united genre of music. Lollapalooza is in the middle of the city with many different musical and entertainment acts. It's illustrative of the way society has changed from generation to generation. Generation X/Y is much more busy and cultures are more intertwined than they were for the Baby Boomers.

What they have in common: pretty much every generation likes coming together with common interests and celebrating.

If I were planning an event for both of these generations together, I would mix the classics and the trendy modern culture in a "Generation Journey" incorporating music and culture from the beginning of the Baby Boomers' time to today. And I would plan it somewhere out of the way to get back to the simplicity and experience of an organic music festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment