Friday, November 9, 2012

Right On Target

Identify an event that will take place in December 2012 and conduct market research. Who is the target market? Conduct a SWOT, etc.

Ever been to the San Diego Parade of Lights? Well, I've lived in San Diego my entire life and have wanted to go but never made it. Does that mean I'm not their target market?

I would consider the Parade of Lights something for all ages. I've been all of 20 different ages. But maybe I haven't been because it doesn't really cater to my specific market.



After perusing the website for a few minutes, this is what I perceive to be the target market for the annual Parade of Lights: San Diego's local boating community and local families with children between the ages of 4 and 15. 

Let's break down the SWOT of this event. For those of you who don't follow along with these business-y terms, a SWOT analysis breaks down the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that a business or, in this case, an event, have. Have a look.

Strengths: 
- Well-known event locally around San Diego, already has positive reputation

Weaknesses: 
- Outdoor location could be a problem in winter season

Opportunities:
- Since this event could appeal to more than just target market, offering some other activities to suit those other groups may increase attendance

Threats: 
- There are always new and ongoing holiday-themed events this time of year in the same area so Parade of Lights has competition very close by

No comments:

Post a Comment